From the meat case to the table, beef remains a top choice among grocery shoppers who consistently seek the best cuts and finest quality. Retailers and distributors that satisfy the demand for premium beef were honored Sept. 20-22 by the Certified Angus Beef brand. The awards were presented in Sunriver, Ore., at the brand’s annual conference, which was attended by retailers, chefs, food distributors and cattle ranchers.
“These retailers have elevated the meat case through creative marketing, merchandising and staff training,” said John Stika, the brand’s president. “Through these efforts, they have satisfied consumer demand for great-tasting beef and affirmed their role as beef experts in their markets.”
Seven retail companies were recognized at the conference for Certified Angus Beef promotions and brand integrity.
· Foodland Supermarkets Ltd., Honolulu, Retail Marketer of the Year, leads customers to the meat case with steak promotions and in-store cookouts. Advertising, social media and the corporate chef share meal solutions and beef tips for shoppers.
· HEB, Escobedo, Nuevo Leon, International Retail Marketer of the Year, advertises premium cuts in television, print and on billboards. Promotions for frankfurters and deli meats helped the company earn the International Value-added Products Marketer of the Year award. The company’s television commercial was selected by conference attendees to receive the People’s Choice Award for creative advertising.
· The Fred W. Albrecht Grocery Company, Akron, Ohio, Retail Value-Added Products Marketer of the Year, added Certified Angus Beef deli meats to its lineup this year. Activities included point-of-sale materials, in-store promotions, features in the weekly circular and staff training.
· Reasor’s Inc., Tahlequah, Okla., received Retail Brand Extension Marketer of the Year honors. Reasor’s markets the brand, including Certified Angus Beef brand Prime and Natural, using billboards, in-store signage, weekly features and coupons.
· Quality Food Centers, Bellevue, Wash., Retail Advertiser of the Year, effectively uses weekly circulars, radio promotions and consumer events to promote high-quality beef.
· Cermak Produce, Chicago, Retail Rising Star, has made the brand a central focus of the meat case since the stores began offering it in November. The circular features items nearly every week, helping to substantiate the retailer’s focus on quality.
· Oxford Trading Company, Westwood, Mass., received the Retail Commitment to Integrity award for its focus on offering quality beef and helping retailers grow sales through promotions and new products.
Eight more companies received awards for the most Certified Angus Beef product sold during the past year.
· Meijer Inc., Grand Rapids, Mich., Top Sales Volume Large Chain Retailer.
· Strack & Van Til, Highland, Ind., Top Sales Volume Small Chain Retailer.
· Skogen’s Festival Foods, Onalaska, Wis., Top Retail Average Volume Per Store – More than 10 stores.
· McKinnon Butcher Shop North Inc., Danvers, Mass., Top Retail Average Volume Per Store – 10 or fewer stores.
· Baesler’s Market, Terre Haute, Ind., Top Sales Volume Single Store Retailer.
· Bi-Lo Inc., Greenville, S.C., Top Retail Sales Volume Increase.
· SuperValu – Midwest Region, Pleasant Prairie, Wis., Top Sales Volume Retail Distributor.
· TOPCO Associates Inc., Skokie, Ill., Top Sales Volume Cooperative.