Food Lion unveiled its fourth Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) store in Norge, Va., Wednesday, Nov. 2, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
The store, which is built to certification standards, features environmentally friendly construction and a number of energy-efficient services, including an educational and preferred parking for carpool vehicles. Food Lion is in the process of attaining LEED certification for the store.
“Food Lion has a long-standing commitment to serving as a caring neighbor and is committed to being a strong corporate citizen in the communities in which we operate,” said Kyle Mitchell, vice president of store development for Delhaize America South. “By building our fourth LEED grocery store in Norge, Va., we will reduce energy costs by more than 20 percent, compared to a typical supermarket, as well as conserve 40 percent more water than other Food Lion stores.”
Food Lion’s new LEED store features a number of environmentally friendly features, including:
- LED lighting in the frozen food cases.
- Bike racks and preferred parking for carpool vehicles.
- Low-flow and sensor-activated water fixtures in restrooms.
- Enhanced air quality for associates and customers by using low-toxicity materials and implementing proactive management plans throughout construction to ensure optimal indoor air quality.
- Environmental education via a kiosk in the store.
- Purchasing a significant amount of building materials manufactured within 500 miles of each location to boost local economies and reduce energy expended on transportation.
- Waste management plans to divert construction waste from landfills through recycling.
- Customer and associate recycling programs at the store.
- Native and drought-resistant plant species that reduce irrigation requirements.
- An underground storage tank that captures rainwater from the roof and supplies all of the necessary irrigation for the landscaping.
- Advanced stormwater management techniques that increase the amount of rainfall absorbed onsite.
The store also features a large fresh produce department, a deli/bakery with decorated cakes, specialty meats, cheeses and breads, as well as a large meat department featuring Butcher’s Brand Premium Beef, fresh pork, poultry, seafood, and a large assortment of grocery items. The new store also offers Western Union services, Rug Doctor rentals, Blue Rhino propane exchange, and a Coinstar kiosk.