For the second year in a row, Stater Bros. has received a Waste Reduction Award for its many environmentally friendly programs from California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) Waste Reduction Awards Program (WRAP).
In total, Stater Bros. eliminated 125,780,911 pounds of waste from landfills in 2011.
The Company’s significant green programs include:
- Recycling cardboard (eliminated over 70 million pounds from landfills in 2011)
- Green Waste Composting Program (eliminated nearly 40 million pounds from landfills in 2011)
- Recycling sustainable rendering products (eliminated over 8 million pounds from landfills in 2011)
- Donating food to local food banks (eliminated over 3 million pounds from landfills in 2011)
- Recycling plastic bags (over 2.7 million pounds from landfills in 2011).
In addition, the Company’s weekly ad is printed on recycled paper, and Stater Bros. participates in California’s Voluntary Demand Response Program to reduce energy consumption at store level when demand is high.
“Stater Bros. believes in doing the right thing for the right reason”, stated Jack H. Brown, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Stater Bros. Supermarkets. “Protecting our environment is the ‘right thing’ and the ‘right reason’ is so future generations can live in a better world.”
The CalRecycle Waste Reduction Awards Program (WRAP) has been recognizing the environmentally friendly business strategies of California businesses since 1993.