The Milk Processor Education Program (MilkPEP) is kicking off 2013 with its first-ever Big Game national retail display contest. It will offer cash prizes to independent and retail chain stores that create attention-getting displays that remind shoppers that nothing gets them ready for their Big Game better than breakfast with milk.
The contest is one element of an integrated national consumer promotion designed to utilize the purchase-driving power of football’s playoff and championship season to increase milk sales. Each store enters the contest individually to compete for cash prizes. If at least 10% of a chain’s stores participate in the contest, the chain could receive additional cash prizes. To be eligible, displays must stay up for at least one week between Jan. 8 and Feb. 17 and meet other requirements as outlined by MilkPEP at gotmilksales.org.
The football playoff season and the Big Game are a peak retail opportunity. Milk is the third most consumed beverage during the championship game so this contest is an excellent opportunity for retailers to leverage the excitement of football season by bringing attention to the dairy aisle and build on existing Big Game efforts to generate incremental store trips and sales of milk, say MilkPEP officials.
The promotion is part of MilkPEP’s Breakfast-at-Home occasion-based effort designed to drive consumer demand for breakfast at home with milk. It includes free tools and ideas for retailers to carry out this strategy in the dairy case and throughout their stores.
MilkPEP’s national integrated launch around the Big Game includes:
- Three new Milk Mustache print ads;
- Extensive digital media support to drive awareness and milk sales;
- Public relations and social media buzz to drive milk consumption;
- Through a partnership with Fuel Up to Play 60, America’s Milk Processors will make $250,000 in grants to schools across the country to help give kids greater access to a healthy breakfast. From Jan. 8-Feb. 17, when consumers buy milk they can vote to help a local school win a $1,000 Fuel Up to Play 60 grant; and
- Football-themed in-store media promoting breakfast including NewsAmerica Shelftalk in 13,000+ stores and messaging on 8 million gallons of milk through BoxTop.
Milk’s Breakfast Blitz
Milk Processor Education Program