The National Mango Board (NMB) honored four retailers for being the “best of the best” in mango retailing and providing outstanding support and promotion for mangos, announced at the NMB’s Mango Industry Reception during PMA Fresh Summit.
Of the four selected Mango Model Retailers from across the country, one was titled Mango Retailer of the Year. According to NMB Executive Director William Watson, choosing the winners was a real challenge. “The mango industry has many heroes and champions at retail. It’s exciting to see how much support we get, especially compared to just a few years ago,” said Watson.
The 2012 Mango Retailer of the Year was Dominic Pelosi, The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, Inc. The 2012 Mango Model Retailers included John Savidan and Keith Tsuchiyama, Bristol Farms; Lee Arthur, The Fresh Market; and Jim Wood, Schnucks.
The following criteria were used to select the Mango Model Retailers and the Mango Retailer of the Year:
- Produce impressive mango sales and volume increases;
- Follow through on commitments to NMB programs and provide results at the close of each funded promotion;
- Educate consumers about mangos through display, POS materials, ads, website, newsletters and other vehicles;
- Facilitate mango training and inspire associates to handle, merchandise and promote mangos more effectively;
- Be aware of market forces, work with the industry through difficult supply periods and promote mangos in all seasons; and
- Engage in effective, high-quality, creative promotions that connect with shoppers on multiple levels.
“Many of our relationships with retailers have moved beyond just funded promotions; these retailers are our partners and they help support the mango industry year round,” said NMB Director of Marketing Megan McKenna. Based on the success of the Mango Retailer of the Year program in its first year, the NMB plans to continue it in 2013.