MilkPEP (Milk Processor Education Program) has announced the winners of its Breakfast Blitz Retail Display Contest, which was part of MilkPEP’s first-ever integrated campaign using the Big Game as a platform to deliver the breakfast at home with milk message to drive sales. The results generated by the winning retailers showcased the success of the breakfast-at-home strategy in selling more milk as well as other complimentary breakfast products, including eggs, bacon, cereal and English muffins. When those other items were featured in a display alongside milk, the retailers reported notable increases across the board.
“Retailers who featured milk along with other breakfast products benefitted the most because they saw an immediate incremental sales lift for milk as well as for some of the other items making this a much bigger success story for them,” says Melissa Malcolm, Field Marketing Manager for MilkPEP. The displays highlighted breakfast-at-home messaging resonated with shoppers who are increasingly recognizing the importance of the breakfast meal in their overall health and wellness and looking for easy breakfast meal solutions, say MilkPEP officials.
Making this an even bigger win for retailers, they were able to boost milk sales during the football playoff season leading up to the Big Game when there is typically not a lot of action at the milk case. The Breakfast Blitz Display Contest, along with MilkPEP’s other Breakfast Blitz promotional activities, allowed retailers to further leverage this sales-driving opportunity.
The contest winners, who each won a $500 gift card for their successful retail displays, are:
Large Store Winners (10+ cash registers):
- Jen Haugen, Hy-Vee, Austin, MN, 563% increase in milk sales over the same period of the previous year
- Dustin Patton, Marketplace Food & Drug, Bemidji, MN, 14% increase in milk sales over the same period of the previous year
- Dustin Benes, Hy-Vee, Fairmont, MN, 53.4% increase in milk sales over the same period of the previous year
- Al Spinazzola, King Kullen, Middle Island, NY, 7.6% increase and Riverhead, NY, 19% increase in milk sales over the same period of the previous year
- Amy Pleimling, Hy-Vee, Albert Lea, MN, 500% increase over the same 1-week period of the previous year
Small Store Winner (1-5 cash registers):
- Anna Hines, Robies, Jeanerette, LA, 1.71% increase in milk sales over same period of the previous year
In addition to the above mentioned winners, MilkPEP also awarded Al Spinazzola a prize for the Retail Chain with over 10% Participation. To learn more about the winners of the Breakfast Blitz Retail Display Contest visit gotmilksales.org, MilkPEP’s dedicated website for retailers which features free sales-building resources, tools and ideas as well as its latest research.