Survey: More Consumers Would Shop Online if Faster

Survey results showed that 44% of consumers would shop online more if it were faster to make a purchase, while nearly three-quarters (72%) agree that the overall experience of surfing the web could be better. The vast majority of online shoppers (84%) expect an online transaction to be completed in five minutes or less.

The survey, conducted online in June among more than 2,500 US adults by Harris Interactive, kicks off an effort by Optimizely, the leading global website optimization platform, to educate online retailers about current trends in online shopping behavior. The company launched a new website and infographic to help their customers and online businesses use an A/B testing tool to build a successful testing strategy in preparation for the holiday season. Optimizely has over 5,000 global customers including GoDaddy, Foot Locker and Electronic Arts.

Some of the key findings include:

  • Nearly half of consumers would shop more online if it were faster to make a purchase (44%);
  • The vast majority of shoppers expect an online transaction to be completed in 5 minutes or less (84%);
  • 72% of consumers agree that the overall experience of surfing the web could be better, while 39% agree that many of the websites they visit feel outdated;
  • Younger consumers (aged 18-34) are more likely to strongly agree (29%) that the overall experience of surfing the web could be better, when compared to those ages 35+ (18%), and male consumers are more likely to strongly agree with this than women (25% and 16%, respectively);
  • Younger consumers (ages 18-34) are more likely to spend more time on websites that feel fresh and new than those ages 35+ (70% vs. 50%); and
  • Overall, 93% of US adults indicate that they shop online.

The findings suggest that online retail is undergoing some radical changes and encouraging online merchants to differentiate themselves in more meaningful ways. Today, consumers’ time is now worth more to them; they need more compelling shopping experiences, unique or personalized product selection, or better customer service.

“Just 2% of visitors across the web convert into customers,” says Dan Siroker, CEO and co-founder of Optimizely. “That means there is a massive opportunity to convert the other 98%. Increasingly, online retailers must differentiate by providing a superior web experience. With Optimizely, they can use data to streamline the shopping experience and engage consumers by making it more enjoyable and hopefully increase revenue as well.”

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.