The National Mango Board (NMB) has honored Michael Schutt of Raley’s as their 2013 Mango Retailer of the Year. Finalists for the award, also known as Mango Model Retailers, are Keith Durham of Brookshire’s, Dick McKellogg of Lowes Foods and Tom Eynon of Giant Eagle.
These individuals and their companies were recognized at the NMB’s Mango Industry Reception at PMA Fresh Summit on October 19. Greg Corrigan, vice president of produce and floral at Raley’s accepted the award on behalf of Schutt, who was unable to attend Fresh Summit this year. Also in attendance was Dominic Pelosi of A&P, the NMB’s 2012 Retailer of the Year.
Rewarding the best of the best in mango retailoring, the Mango Retailer of the Year and the Mango Model Retailers are selected based on the following criteria:
- They produce impressive mango sales and volume increases.
- They follow through on commitments to NMB programs and provide results at the close of each funded promotion.
- They educate consumers about mangos through display, POS materials, ads, website, newsletters and other vehicles.
- They facilitate mango training and inspire their associates to handle, merchandise and promote mangos more effectively.
- They are aware of market forces, work with the industry through difficult supply periods and promote mangos in all seasons.
- They engage in effective, high-quality, creative promotions that connect with shoppers on multiple levels.
Schutt won the top honor because he exemplified these factors, resulting in outstanding mango sales and volume results for Raley’s. He initiated training programs at both the store and distribution center levels to ensure mangos were handled and merchandised effectively. Throughout the year, Schutt ran a series of multi-layered mango promotions, some funded by the NMB, but mostly driven by his own initiative. These promotions created shopper interaction through demo events, display contests, POS materials, secondary displays and online exposure for mangos.
After accepting the award, Corrigan recognized the hard work of Schutt the entire Raley’s team to earn the Mango Retailer of the Year honor. Corrigan also thanked the NMB for supporting Raley’s in their effort to build their mango business.