The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company is kicking off its holiday giving season by asking customers to join in its mission to share meals and give thanks to communities across the Northeast. According to FeedingAmerica.org, one in six people in America is at risk of hunger, which is more than 50 million Americans who do not always know where they will get their next meal. With the help of its customers and associates, Stop & Shop aims to raise $2.5 million for families in need this holiday season through a number of ongoing hunger relief programs.
“As a food retailer, we aim to be a better neighbor all year long, and sharing meals with those in need is an important part of what we do,” said Joe Kelley, president of Stop & Shop New England. “For nearly 100 years, we’ve been providing fresh, healthy and affordable food to families and are proud to continue our hunger relief programs through the holiday season.”
“The holidays can be the hardest time of the year for families in need. Unfortunately, hunger never takes a holiday but through our hunger relief efforts we can help put food on the table and make a difference for thousands in our communities this Thanksgiving and Holiday season,” said Don Sussman, president of Stop & Shop New York Metro Division.
Food for Friends
Customers can donate $1, $3 or $5 at their local Stop & Shop to help support more than 300 local hunger relief organizations across the Northeast. Stop & Shop’s Food for Friends program will deliver 100 percent of the dollars raised to the organizations – 60 percent will be allocated directly to local food pantries; 40 percent will be donated to regional food banks.
Customers can also purchase “Trimmings Boxes” for $10 at their local Stop & Shop, giving Own Brand holiday trimmings to those in need. By purchasing a box, Stop & Shop will deliver non-perishable items such as cranberry sauce, stuffing mix, cut green beans and more to local hunger relief organizations. The program’s goal is to sell all 58,000 “Trimmings Boxes” before the end of the year.
In addition to its in-store hunger relief initiatives, Stop & Shop’s annual Turkey Express program will donate more than 21,000 turkeys to hunger relief organizations across the Northeast this season. The program kicked off in New England on Sunday, Oct. 27 with the donation of 1,000 turkeys to Foodshare in East Hartford, Conn. and will begin in the New York Metro area on Tuesday, Nov. 12 with the donation of 1,500 turkeys to the Food Bank of Monmouth & Ocean Counties in Neptune Township, N.J.
The New England division will donate turkeys to the following organizations:
- Nov. 1 – Worcester Community Food Bank, Worcester, Mass.
- Nov. 6 – Rhode Island Community Food Bank, Providence, R.I.
- Nov. 11 – The Food Bank of Western Mass., Hatfield, Mass.
- Nov. 13 – The Greater Boston Food Bank, Boston, Mass.
- Nov. 14 – YMCA of East Boston, East Boston, Mass.
- Nov. 16 – YMCA of Dorchester, Dorchester, Mass.
- Nov. 23 – Pawtucket Boys & Girls Club, Pawtucket, R.I.
The New York division will donate turkeys to the following organizations:
- Nov. 12 – Food Bank of Monmouth & Ocean Counties, Neptune Township, N.J.
- Nov. 13 – Food Bank for New York City, Hunts Point, N.Y.
- Nov. 14 – Food Bank for Westchester, Elmsford N.Y.
- Nov. 19 – Community Food Bank of NJ, Hillside, N.J. and CT Food Bank, East Haven, Conn.
- Nov. 20 – Food Bank of Hudson Valley, Cornwall on Hudson, N.Y.
- Nov. 21 – Island Harvest/LI Cares, Mineola, N.Y.