February is American Heart Health Month. USApple and its members are contributing to this important health moment by launching a digital campaign centered on apples’ many heart health benefits.
Through its “28 Days of Apples” initiative, USApple will spend February spotlighting 28 ways and reasons apples are healthy for our hearts and bodies. The program will feature:
- Digital/social outreach on USApple’s Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest pages educating consumers about important heart-healthy apple info each day in February. Daily topics include data from major healthy studies, cooking tips and recipes.
- A daily apple-related prize from a USApple member or supporter. Each prize will be awarded to a consumer who engages with an apple heart health fact on USApple’s social channels. Prizes include fruit gift baskets, cookbooks, cookware and more.
- A Feb. 13 Twitter Party featuring USApple and NourishRDs nutritionists sharing apple facts and cooking tips and encouraging participants to share their recipe ideas.
- Consumer media relations outreach to promote the program and further educate individuals about apples’ heart health.
- Facebook ad campaign to draw more attention to the promotion.
“Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States,” says Wendy Brannen, director of consumer health and public relations for USApple, which represents apple growers and all segments of the apple industry. “We want to remind consumers that eating apples can be one of the most convenient and accessible ways to fight many of the factors that contribute to heart disease. ‘28 Days of Apples’ accomplishes this with a daily dose of essential information presented in a fun, rewarding way to consumers. We especially appreciate our members and partners for supporting the campaign by donating fantastic daily prizes.”
Participating sponsors and donors of daily prizes to date include: California Walnuts, Chelan Fresh Marketing, CrunchPak, Gebbers Farms, Knouse Foods, Michigan Apple Committee, New York Apple Association, New York Apple Sales, Opal Apples, Pennsylvania Apple Marketing Program, Rainier Fruit Company, Red Jacket Orchards, Robin Asbell, Sage Fruit Company, The Fruit Company, The Produce Mom and Tree Top.