Michigan Grocers Association Elects Officers
By Grocery Headquarters Staff
Michigan Grocers Association (MGA) announces that the Board of Directors elected the following officers. “These leaders bring to MGA great experience, energy, and the utmost dedication to the food industry,” says Linda M. Gobler, president & CEO of the MGA. “This diverse and talented group will enable the Association to continue to advance the success of the industry.”
- Dave Duthler, president of Duthler’s Family Foods, was elected MGA Board Chairman. Grand Rapids, Mich.-based Duthler’s Family Foods, a 24-year-old family-owned company with three locations in the Grand Rapids area. Dave grew up in the grocery business, with his grandfather starting Ben Duthler’s Supermarket in Grand Rapids in 1939. He holds a bachelor’s degree from Calvin College and a master’s from the University of Michigan.
- Mike Schiffli, area marketing director for SUPERVALU’s Northern Region, which includes Michigan, was elected Board Vice Chairman. Fort Wayne, Ind.-based SUPERVALU and its 35,000 employees serve customers across the U.S. through a network of approximately 3,420 stores composed of 1,900 stores serviced primarily by the company's food distribution business, 191 traditional retail stores and 1,334 hard-discount stores. Schiffli majored in food sales and distribution at Purdue University.
- Gary Gerlach, Orchard Markets, Spring Lake, Mich., was elected Board Secretary. Gerlach owns two Orchard Markets; the independently owned hometown supermarkets are located in Spring Lake and Fruitport. He has previous grocery experience with Roundy’s and Spartan Stores. He holds a bachelor’s degree from Western Michigan University.
- Jim Gohsman, vice president of sales for SpartanNash’s Great Lakes Region, was elected Board Treasurer. Grand Rapids, Mich.-based SpartanNash currently operates 177 supermarkets, primarily under the banners of Family Fare Supermarkets, No Frills, Bag 'n Save and Econofoods. Gohsman has 35-plus years experience in the food industry.
- DJ Oleson, vice president of Oleson’s Food Stores, based in Traverse City, Mich., is Past Chairman of the MGA Board. The family-owned Oleson’s Food Stores has five locations in the Traverse City area. Having joined MGA in 1934, Oleson’s has the distinction of being MGA’s oldest member. DJ is also a part-time buffalo rancher. He holds a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University.
- Linda M. Gobler, president, Michigan Grocers Association. Gobler has served as the Board’s chief staff executive for the past 27 years. Gobler has spent 29 years with the Association; she has been recognized many times for her knowledge, ability to get things done, passion for the industry and more. She is a Michigan State University graduate.