Motorola Solutions Introduces Next Generation Personal Shopper
By Grocery Headquarters Staff
With the majority of shoppers reporting that self-help technologies improve their shopping experience, Motorola Solutions, Inc. has unveiled the industry’s most advanced personal shopping device, which will help shoppers save time and money as they quickly scan items and experience faster checkouts, company officials say. The MC18 Personal Shopper is Motorola’s fifth generation personal shopping device and is designed to bridge the gap between convenient technology and personal service – providing shoppers with relevant real-time discount coupons for items they are purchasing and suggestions for complementary merchandise. Motorola personal shopping devices have been installed in more than 2,000 stores globally, accounting for nearly 1 million transactions per day. Retailers using this solution have reported an increased basket size of up to 30%, while receiving real-time visibility into what customers are buying. Shoppers benefit from the technology which enables them to scan items as they shop, allowing for faster checkout. The MC18 is designed for grocery stores, department stores, hypermarkets, wholesale membership clubs and mass merchandisers. “The MC18 Personal Shopper represents the fifth generation of our retail solution that has been deployed in more than 65 retail chains and has transformed the shopping experience of customers around the world," says Joe White, vice president of Motorola Solutions' enterprise mobile computing. "The MC18 can help retailers minimize shoppers’ frustration with long lines at checkout, and more efficiently deploy staff to focus on customer service tasks – helping boost customer satisfaction, basket size and sales.” The MC18 brings five industry firsts to the personal shopping device market, officials say:
- A new large, all-touch, 4-inch high-resolution display that is easy to use and navigate with pinch-and-zoom capability, which provides easy viewing of shopping lists and promotional items.
- Motorola’s advanced imaging engine enables the instant capture of virtually any 1D or 2D bar code whether it is printed on paper or displayed on the screen of a mobile phone. And with omnidirectional scanning, both shoppers and store associates benefit from point-and-shoot simplicity without needing to orient the bar code and scanner.
- The MC18 comes with Bluetooth Low-Energy (BLE) technology enabling retailers to deploy applications that help shoppers find products with indoor maps and receive special offers based on their location in the store.
- The new PowerPrecision+ battery powers nine hours of continuous use, and delivers faster charging and advanced state-of-health measurements to maximize device usage and ensure shoppers are provided with ready-to-use personal shopping devices.
- A new flexible space-saving cradle design can be configured in three ways depending on the retailer’s needs both on the store floor and in the back room.