Pear Bureau Announces "Pear Up" Contest Winners
By Grocery Headquarters Staff
[caption id="attachment_30212" align="alignright" width="360"] First place winner in the 10+ cash register category: Dan Atkinson, Hy-Vee, Iowa City, Iowa[/caption] Pear Bureau Northwest is pleased to announce the 40 winners of its inaugural “Pear Up with USA Pears” display contest. The contest invited all retailers from across the U.S. and Canada to build an eye-catching display that features Green Anjou, Red Anjou and Bosc pears at minimum, with inclusion of other varieties of USA Pears being encouraged. “We received hundreds of truly impressive, very competitive entries that showed outstanding creativity in merchandising pears. Because pears are a high impulse purchase item, these eye-catching displays drew shoppers in and participating retailers reported that they boosted their pear sales,” Cristie Mather, director of communications for the Pear Bureau Northwest. The winners for the 1–5 cash registers category are: 1st Place: Shiela Burt, Mike’s Food Center, St. Charles, Minn. 2nd Place: Kelly Kesler, Kesler’s Market, Blackfoot, Idaho 3rd Place: Leslie MacAulay, Sackville Co-op Food Market, Sackville, NB, Canada Honorable Mentions:
- Rex Titch, TOPS Markets, Waterford, Penn.
- Christopher Vorhies, Leon’s Gourmet Grocer, Lincoln, Neb.
- Efren Pinera, Hilltop Red Apple, Seattle, Wash.
- Donald Oberg, Donelan’s Supermarkets, Lincoln, Mass.
- Craig Alley, Ideal Grocery, Lincoln, Neb.
- Susann Kotarba, Harding’s Friendly Markets, Eau Claire, Mich.
- Dan Vanauker, TOPS Markets, Ontario, N.Y.
- Lauren Lyons, Creekside Co-op, Elkins Park, Penn.
- Michelle Heneby, Marvin’s Food Stores, Dewey, Okla.
- Patsy Frazier, Homeland, Shawnee, Okla.
- Judy Gauthier, Buy-Low Foods, Athabasca, AB, Canada
- Michael Garrett, Rosauers Supermarkets, Yakima, Wash.
- Al Polard, Chuck’s Produce and Street Market, Vancouver, Wash.
- Jason Richards, Nature’s Pantry, Independence, Mo.
- Brian Metcalfe, Marsh Supermarkets, Carmel, Ind.
- Derek Christensen, The Port Townsend Food Co-op, Port Townsend, Wash.
- Joe Ruiz, Ray’s Food Place, Cloverdale, Calif.
- Mike Midura, Fresh Acres Market, Springfield, Mass.
- Davi Andre, Sprouts, San Diego, Calif.
- Dennis Houghton, Sprouts, San Antonio, Texas
- Derek Perisho, Hy-Vee, Olathe, Kan.
- Kelsey Bartels, Martin’s IGA Plus, Effingham, Ill.
- Brad Franklin, TOPS Markets, Towanda, Penn.
- Jessica Granier, Rouse’s Market, Thibodaux, La.
- Andy Crane, Chuck’s Produce and Street Market, Vancouver, Wash.
- Brandon Everett, Rouses Market, Slidell, La.
- John Braun, Rouses Market, Covington, La.
- Mario DeCaro, TOPS Market, Cheektowaga, N.Y.
- John Hugger, Rouses Market, Metairie, La.
- Bryan Burch, Hy-Vee, Kansas City, Mo.