Six of the country’s most exciting chefs and foodservice professionals representing an array of culinary styles and backgrounds will be honored this May at United Fresh 2012 as part of the United Fresh Produce Excellence in Foodservice Awards Program.
Sponsored by Pro*Act LLC, and now in its fifth year, the program honors chefs and their companies for their innovative and influential use of fresh produce in the culinary arts.
“For five years now, we at Pro*Act continue to be amazed at the creativity, dedication and insight shown by the honorees in this program,” says Max Yeater, Pro*Act President
“We are so proud to be a sponsor of the Produce Excellence in Foodservice Awards and we thank all of the nominees and all of the chefs who work so hard to help further the goal of increased consumption of healthy, fresh fruits and vegetables.”
The 2012 Produce Excellence in Foodservice Awards winners are:
- Business in Industry & Colleges: Chef David Kramer, Chef Instructor, College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, Ill.
- Casual & Family Dining Restaurants: Chef Michael Stebner, Director of Culinary, True Food Kitchen, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Fine Dining Restaurants: Chef Brian Scheehser, Trellis Restaurant, Kirkland, Wash.
- Hotels & Healthcare: Chef Christophe Depuichaffray, Area Executive Chef, InterContinental Mark Hopkins and Hotel InterContinental San Francisco, San Francisco, Calif.
- K-12 School Foodservice: Jessica Shelly, Director of Food Services, Cincinnati Public Schools, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Quick Service Restaurants, John Hughes, Senior Vice President & Director of Training, Jersey Mike’s Subs, Manasquan, N.J.
The six winners were selected from nearly 120 nominations submitted by produce companies and foodservice operations across North America. A panel of produce and foodservice industry leaders reviewed the nominees. The winners were selected based on their demonstrated incorporation of fresh produce into menu development, use of protocols for correct storage and handling of produce, leadership in produce related community service and special events and recognition by their company and industry peers.
On the United Fresh 2012 trade show floor, all six winners will take part in a panel discussion, Top Chefs! Produce Excellence in Foodservice Award Winners, where they will share their perspectives on creative uses of fresh produce and the challenges and opportunities impacting the foodservice business.