Hormel Foods Releases 2013 Corporate Responsibility Report
By Grocery Headquarters Staff
Hormel Foods Corporation announced the release of its 2013 Hormel Foods Corporate Responsibility Report, available online at www.hormelfoods.com/csr. This is the eighth corporate responsibility report for Hormel Foods, which includes information on the company’s second set of environmental goals that span from 2012 – 2020 using 2011 as a benchmark. The report is self-declared Application Level B as confirmed by the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). The annual report focuses on the company’s commitment to being a responsible food manufacturer. Highlighted performance and initiatives throughout 2013 include:
- Donating a total of $9.1 million in cash and product donations. Donations specific to hunger relief organizations throughout the United States and abroad totaled more than $6.5 million through the company’s On Our Way to Ending Hunger program.
- Achieving outstanding results from the annual Environmental Sustainability Best of the Best competition. In 2013, the competition generated 59 entries throughout all business segments, resulting in annual savings of: 154 million gallons of water; 180,000 MMBtu of energy; 1,000 tons of solid waste; and 7,900,000 kWh of electricity.
- Resulted in a reduction of 17,000 metric tons greenhouse gas emissions (22% of goal when combined with 2012 progress).
- Reduced energy use by 204,000 MMBtu (45% of goal when combined with 2012 progress).
- Reduced water use by 0.154 billion gallons (56% of goal when combined with 2012 progress).
- Reduced the amount of solid waste sent to landfills by 1,000 tons (81% of goal when combined with 2012 progress).
- Reduced product packaging by 4.72 million pounds (35% of goal when combined with 2012 progress).
- Reduced sodium levels in select products within branded retail product portfolio.